Friday, May 20, 2011

"H" is for Hank

We loved an eclectus parrot named Hank (the males are green, the females red)

Our parrot, Hank, lived with us for ten years.  He was a sweetheart; quiet and kind.  I'm writing in past tense because this is a sad story.  Hank is no longer with us.  He's still alive and everything, but with another owner. We all still think of him.  When I do, I like to think that Hank has made some other bird friends where he lives now.  We decided, after trying everything we could think of, he would be happier in a home with other birds.  Hank  never really adjusted to living in Newburgh.  When an eclectus parrot becomes upset, feathers are picked out.  All that beautiful green plummage, gone.  He looked pretty war torn the last few years he was with us.  'Sigh'  There are probably a million reasons for his anxiety/depression, it could be he needed a mate, or maybe it was because the kids grew up -changing his life.

When the kids were young, Hank was always on someone's shoulder.  He played where they played, sat at the supper table with us, and even took showers with them.  He was very happy.  As time went on, the children became involved with sports, music, academics, and going out with friends.  Hank still received a lot of attention, but life did change.  I never thought about that when I bought him.  I knew birds were sensitive, but I never thought about how the natural growth of my family could affect him.

Parrots live a long time; they are very intelligent and social.  I guess my advice is to keep this in mind if you are thinking about one for a pet. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment