Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"J" is for Jacks

Remember the game Jacks?  I loved it.  In fact now that I'm thinking about it, I'm in the mood to try my hand at it again.  It was my cousin, Lynnet, that taught me how to play this game.  She was good at it, too. I suspect she practiced a lot.
 Here's Wikepedia's definition of the game: " 1.a game in which jackstones are thrown and picked up in various groups between bounces of a small rubber ball


2.plaything consisting of small 6-pointed metal pieces that are used (along with a ball) to play the game of jacks"

I'm thinking of definition number two.  We played with a red rubber ball (like a super ball) and used the 6-pointed metal pieces as it says in the definition. There were either ten or twelve of the metal pieces altogether. The object of the game is to pick up the correct number of pointy (not sharp) metal pieces after bouncing the ball and then catching the ball before it bounced again. The pieces are dropped and the ball is bounced and then a fast hand juts out swiping the table or floor to collect the correct number of pieces.

I think Jacks would be great to relieve stress.  When life gets hectic, pull out the jacks and think only about getting the pointy pieces, breathing in and out.  Letting the mind settle on the bouncy red ball and forgetting about the house that needs cleaning, the work that needs to be done, fussy children, barking dogs, the fight with your daughter...  Take just 15 minutes and bounce the ball...

No comments:

Post a Comment