Sunday, May 8, 2011

T is for Today

T is for TODAY because it's Mother's Day.  And what a beautiful Mother's Day it is here in southern Indiana. The sun is shining and birds are tweeting (I'd normally say singing, but since I'm honoring letter T I went with tweeting).  I'm glad we, as a society, have set aside a day for mothers.  Mothering is a very important job.  Most of us, women folk, take it very seriously; that means work.  Work we love and cherish.  My mother has five children.  I am the oldest and remember her hanging clothes on the line, boiling baby bottles, washing cloth diapers, canning fruit and pickles, doing a whole lot of vacuuming and on top of all that she made time to sew us clothes and take us to music lessons.   I marvel at what she was able to do and wonder where she got her energy.  The picture below is of my mother on the left, my daughter Janine, and my father.


My parenting was different from hers; we are from different times.  I didn't have to boil bottles or use cloth diapers.  I had a microwave and pampers.  I spent more time with my children; reading to them, teaching them things, and having fun. I was able to. 

All three of my kids are home this weekend.  Matthew lives in Boston so it's a real treat to have him here.  Suzanne lives in Bloomington and Janine here in Evansville.  We all still enjoy spending time together.  Last night was filled with playing cards/games and lots of laughter.  I feel so fortunate.

                             Matthew                                       Suzanne                                 Janine


Matthew will be getting a PhD in Physics, Suzanne just received her Masters in secondary education (Math and Spanish) and Janine is striving for a degree in Landscape Architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment