Saturday, May 7, 2011

U is for Ugly


ug·ly   /ˈʌgli/

[uhg-lee]
–adjective, -li·er, -li·est.

1. very unattractive or unpleasant to look at; offensive to the sense of beauty; displeasing in appearance.
 dictionary.com.

I read that dictionary definition and yet I can't help but think the ugliest people are the ones stomping around with a bitter attitude.  Those people out there that get pleasure from making others suffer.  Their outer appearance doesn't matter, they are the warts on society.

 People who are made with ugly outside appearances had better have a pleasing personality.  They aren't able to get away with being ornery.  If they do have a hideous attitude, they are ugly to the power of two.

Whether ugly is in a person or an animal, life is bound to be more difficult for them.  We associate looking ugly with being bad and beautiful with being good.  We're automatically repulsed by physical ugliness
and attracted to physical beauty.  So which puppy is liable to find a home?  Which one would be blamed for chewing on the shoe or peeing on the carpet?  There are many studies that find jurors and interviewers are persuaded by physical appearance.  I guess that's one of the reasons people dress up when they're going to a job interview or put on the stand.  Looking for a job is tough for us average people.  Think about how tough it is for someone that is real ugly.  They can put on interview clothes, and not look dressed up.  Maybe this is the next group of people that will unite and demand benefits.  They wouldn't be coming out of the closet--they are denfinetly out already there.  They may demand the right to cosmetic surgery.

A while back I went to a hardware store to buy something small like batteries.  I was in a hurry (like usual) and forced to stand in line.  The man at the cash register was nice looking and probably my daughter's age.  Still I was tapping my foot wishing the kid would hurry up as I had tons of important stuff to do.  Finally it's my turn.  I chit chat with him while I'm signing the receipt and then I notice what I was so blind to see before.  He was using only one hand because his other hand was the size of a small bowling ball!  It was sitting on the counter not being used.  My attitude changed to one of pity, patience, and amazement.
                                                                                             






No comments:

Post a Comment