Friday, May 6, 2011

V is for volunteer

  V is for Volunteer. Volunteers make our society a better place.       
                                                                                             
When we moved to Newburgh in 1999, our children were young.  Matthew, the oldest of our three, was going into 8th grade.  Being a little old fashioned, I felt it was important for one of us to be home with the kids.  Since my husband, Bruce, liked his job and made more money than I ever would, I was the one that stayed home.  Our children were very active in sports, music and scholastics.  It was nice to have the flexibility to go to their games and be more deeply inolved in their lives.  My "volunteering" was devoted to my family. 

As I type this, I'm on my way to my daughter, Suzanne's, graduation.  She will be awarded a masters in secondary education.  Her area of expertise is Math and Spanish.  Needless-to-say, my children are older now.  They are independent.  Where does that leave me? 

   I decided that I should do something more to contribute to society.  Volunteering sounded appealing because of my interest in writing. Altrusa International of Evansville and The Women's Club of Newburgh are  two organizations I chose in my area (southern Indiana).  It's been a blast and I'm proud to be part of something positive.  After all, a person doesn't have to have a paid position to make a difference in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment