Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Y is for Yum




This is a picture of some yummy Ethiopian food.  My friend, Chef Aimee Blume, was with me when I took this photo. Like I said she's a chef and she writes for the Evansville Courier & Press Food Page.  It's fun having a friend like her because I find myself in restaurants I normally wouldn't think to try.  I can be squeamish about trying new foods, especially if there is slime involved.  However, even if I don't eat all the food placed before me, I enjoy hearing someone as knowledgeable as Aimee talk about it. 

The grey bread rolled and piled on that plate wasn't half bad.  It is very soft, almost doughy, and used like a wrap.  The food on the big plate is put on the unrolled bread and then rerolled like lefse.  There are no eating utensils since all the food is eaten using the bread.

As we ate, Ethopian music and dance played on the t.v. screen mounted up high.  The dance movements were subtle meaning slight and the music soft and pleasant.

Someone once told me that what a pregnant woman ate would determine what the unborn child would like later on.  I'm not sure that's true.  It makes sense in a way.  What is yummy in one part of the world is not necessarily yummy everywhere.

Aimee is pictured here Saturday evening at our table full of Korean food.  We cooked our food on that little grill and ate with chop sticks.  This restaurant is in Indianapolis (I forget the name). Aimee and I attended a wonderful writers conference at the Hilton Garden Inn in Indy near the airport.  The food at the conference was yummy too.  It was a great time both at the conference and in restaurants away from where all the writing action took place.

No comments:

Post a Comment