Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tribute to Opera

Last night my husband and I had the privilege of attending a Evansville Philharmonic concert, Tribute to Opera. It was a wonderful night for both of us, but especially for me. First of all, I love musicals and operas! Music expresses emotion and when you put music together with a story, well, there's nothing quite like it in my opinion. And so we were entertained with music from La Traviata, Rigoletto, Madama Butterfly, La Boheme, Boris Godunov, Le Nozze di Figaro, Porgy and Bess, Carmen and La Boheme. It was fun listening to the various characters sing. I'm always impressed at how strong a human voice can be when used properly. When I use my wimpy little singing voice, I call it fantastic if I manage to hit most of the notes right on.

I was in my lucky seat again. This time the man on my left was Richard Kagey, the stage manager. This is what the Philharmonic program book has to say about him. "Richard Kagey, Director/Designer, has directed and/or designed over 150 productions of operas, musicals, and plays for professional regional companies, national tours, and universities..." Pretty impressive. We were able to talk a little before things got started and in course of our preconcert conversation I learned that very recently 19 different opera companies folded. When I asked why he thought that was, he said, "Operas are very expensive to put on." He said there are a lot of costs that add up. Stage Managers must be paid, musicians, costumes, hair and make-up,stage crew, etc.

I, for one, do not like to hear about opera companies folding, orchestras having difficulties, and musicians in general having a hard time. Let's do what we can to help out! Treat yourself to a couple holiday concerts. Give tickets away as presents. What we have in Evansville, is wonderful! Let's keep it that way!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment