Friday, October 13, 2006

"Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" review


Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)

Directed by Jonathan Mostow
Writing credits James Cameron Gale Anne Hurd

Arnold Schwarzenegger .... Terminator
Nick Stahl .... John Connor
Claire Danes .... Kate Brewster
Kristanna Loken .... T-X

I was a little worried going into this one. The Robobabe Terminator angle felt like a desperate attempt to inject some (unneeded) sex appeal into the franchise. I was worried there was going to be a scene where the Terminator and his Termimistress were going to try to consummate their Roboaffair. I am happy to report my fears were vanquished. Or do I mean terminated? They didn't really exploit her femininity at all. The supermodel Terminator was just there as a pleasing visual effect.

So I'm relieved to tell you that "Terminator 3" is a success. This is a return to form for Schwarzenegger. I found myself amazed at some parts. The demolition derby with the big trucks was the kind of mindless destruction I used to associate with Arnold flicks. Great to see it back.

So once again the Terminator has to jump through the time portal and save John Connor's rear end. Why does the human resistance keep sending back a dinosaur machine like Arnold? Surely they could come up with a more advanced killing machine or at least upgrade Schwarzenegger to meet the current supermodel preferred version.

At any rate, the two Terminators are going to have to face off. This was the part I worried about the most. Was I going to enjoy watching a hot babe walk off the cover of Vogue and thrash Schwarzenegger? Could I even believe it was possible? Once again, the movie succeeds. Their fight in the bathroom was fantastic. It was a special effects overload. Many toilets were destroyed in the fight for the future.

Overall, "Terminator 3" is a great summer action flick. All I can say about the ending is this: Begun this Terminator war has...

SCORE: 3.5 out of 4 terminators vs. robobabes

No comments:

Post a Comment