Sunday, November 19, 2006

"Prostitute Killer" review

Prostitute Killer (2000)
AKA San saam long ji foon cheung tiu foo

Directed by Shu-Pui Hou

Writing credits Shing Miu Jeng

Ming Kwan Chan
Mark Cheng
Siu Wai Cheung
Siu-Lung Ching

I bought this DVD on the enormous strength of its title: "Prostitute Killer". There wasn't any description on the back of the box. Well, there was but I can't read Chinese. All I saw were three guys brutalizing a girl that I assumed was a prostitute. Being a drooling fan of exploitation cinema, I had to take the plunge.

"Prostitute Killer" has a glaring problem. Not enough prostitutes are being killed. I counted two dead hookers. The movie starts off with all guns blazing. Three nut jobs in Halloween masks are putting the boot to a girl, (prostitute?), and the viewer settles in for a violent exploitation flick. Then the movie wanders off into about ten different storylines and veers away from the most important storyline: The mass killing of prostitutes. There are gangsters who want money, a masseuse who has a bad husband, one of the killers is having an affair with a married woman, etc. I was very confused as to where in the heck this movie was going. I don't think the filmmakers knew what kind of movie they wanted to make so they made about three or four different ones.

On the positive side though, the second prostitute killing was pretty graphic. I would recommend this flick to exploitation movie fans based on that one murder scene alone. Just don't expect much prostitute slaughter after that.

SCORE: 2 out of 4 prostitute killers

No comments:

Post a Comment